Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Ripstick

You may have noticed that there are rarely pictures of me doing unflattering things on this blog. It may be because it's more fun to just feature the boys, who are cuter, or because I don't do unflattering things, or perhaps because I'm the one doing the blogging...you decide. :) 
This experience below was just too good to not share, so here I am!

Jakin and Corban are both really into ripsticking (I'm assuming that's a verb...showing my age and lack of coolness here.) It's the new skateboard--but with only one wheel front and back, it's a lot more tippy. I never really skateboarded, but I can wakeboard and snowboard, so I decided that I'd try out their ripsticks while we were in NC. If only there was a video...

I had a really hard time keeping my balance. And gaining momentum. And doing those two things simultaneously. Waving my arms around like crazy felt like it helped, but I'm not sure it did. I still fell off pretty much every 2 feet or so.

A little bit of balance... 
Anyone who knows me well knows that I stick my tongue out to help balance myself. Water skiing, wakeboarding, sometimes even just walking while carrying heavy bags. I couldn't even do that here because I was afraid I'd bit it off when I bit the dust! Maybe that's why I couldn't balance?
Toward the end of my attempts, I realized that I was doing it backwards to how I wakeboard. I switched front feet, hoping for instant improvement. There wasn't much. I think my best ride was about 6 feet long with a slight turn at the end. I may have to try again in Massachusetts this weekend when we visit the Millers. I'm determined to master this! And then maybe I'll ask for one for my birthday next year. I could be the cool mom who ripsticks! :) Or not.


 It's only a still photo, but look how smoothly Jakin and Corban ride. They look so comfortable, and they can do it for hours. I want to be like them!

1 comment:

Grammy aka Lindy said...

I thought maybe you would have included that your mom was worried you would have your tongue stuck out while walking down the aisle on high heels for your wedding:)