Thursday, July 26, 2012

The 4th of July

I was excited about the 4th being on a Wednesday this year for one reason (otherwise, like the rest of the world, I prefer the opportunity for a long weekend rather than a random day off). Because it was just one day, we were in town and could do small-town holiday things like parades!

Our township had fireworks, and we thoroughly enjoyed being able to watch them from the bed of our pickup truck. TJ wasn't sure about them, as you can see. Jojo wasn't fazed a bit. TJ ultimately did like them, but only while his ears were covered.

Ed had to work on the actual 4th, but I took the boys to the best parade in town, in nearby Schoolcraft. It. was. HOT. And the parade started at 11 am, under high sun. I seriously underestimated the amount of water to bring, but enterprising teenagers were selling water and more from wagons, and we found a fantastic seat next to a family with a tent, and used some of their shade and their water. I'll know better next time. TJ loved the parade. He spent most of his time announcing what was coming next (fire trucks! tractors! Model As!) to the other kids. 


People also threw candy. I hoped that by strategically positioning us at the end of the parade, they'd be out, or at least almost out, but there was no shortage. I let Thomas eat a piece or two, and we "saved" the rest to eat later. (You know, kind of like old pets go to happily live out their lives on a farm...)


Being a farming community, there were a lot of tractors. Little boy heaven! 

Jojo more tolerated the whole event. He was only slightly interested in what was going by.

Me? Though it was hot, I too was thrilled, at least for the first 30-45 minutes. I've always wanted to do this with the kids (and by always, I mean the last 3 years...seriously, though, I've always thought it would be fun to take kids to a parade). However, the parade was 90 minutes long! I guess that's what you get when you go to the best small town parade in southwestern Michigan...
It was a great day. 

No comments: