Tuesday, June 9, 2015

The Cake


I had a lot of fun making the cake for TJ's birthday. It was an idea I found on Pinterest, and for once it wasn't a Pinterest fail! 
I made the cakes blue. I used about 5 bottles of food coloring. Since I needed two batches of cakes for stacking, I made one batch of vanilla and one of "blue velvet."

I made grayish-black frosting and cut the centers out of 3 of the 4 round cakes. I stacked those up with frosting between layers and then filled the center hole with black and yellow (Batman colors!) M&Ms. Then a whole circle goes on top and the whole thing gets frosted.

Here's another look at the finished cake:

At one point in the evening, we looked over to see Jimmy on a stool checking out the cake. He was grabbed before he got to sampling it!

Cutting the cake...the great reveal, since TJ didn't know about the M&M surprise!

Surprise!

The colors of the cake--specifically the blue cake, but also the black frosting--had an effect on everyone's digestive systems. But hey, when you're six, blue poop is almost as cool as the cake itself!

No comments: