Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Adventures in Rice Cereal

Thomas had his 4-month check-up yesterday. He's up to 18 lb. 5 oz. and 26.5" long; still on track to be big like Ed! The doctor also gave us the go-ahead for rice cereal. I was excited to try a food source that wasn't me, so I bought some at the store last night and we tried it out. 


He liked the bib and kept trying to get it in his mouth. At first, he wasn't real excited about the cereal, and most of it kept sliding back out. Then I turned the spoon sideways instead of coming in from the front and something clicked...he was a fan. Whether he actually likes the cereal or just likes something else headed toward his mouth (the destination for everything lately), I don't know. 
He gobbled down everything I offered him and insisted on helping guide the spoon near his mouth. 

Toward the end, he just wanted to hold the spoon himself. After I took the spoon away, he went back to sucking on the bib. Considering how much cereal was spilled on the bib, he was actually still eating! 

The feeding process sure was messy--and I know it only gets worse from here...he didn't even get any in his hair yet! Maybe we can put him in a straightjacket while we feed him so he can't wipe his cereal-sticky hands all over himself and his seat! We'll see if he likes cereal as much on day two.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures! Here's a feeding tip: If he insists on grabbing the spoon, give him one of his own to play with. Then, while he's busy playing with his spoon, you can sneak the cereal in with yours.