Monday, March 10, 2014

Gingerbread houses

Kathy and I continued a Michigan tradition for a third year and made candy houses with my kids, their friend Rowan, and Kathy's "little sis" and her brother. I kept telling people we were doing gingerbread houses and they were so impressed, so I'm trying to switch my terminology over to candy houses. There's nothing gingerbread-y about these--just milk cartons covered in frosting and candy! 

We used up a lot of last year's left over candy, which is great for candy houses, but made us grimace a bit as the younger kids sampled. Year old candy...yuck! The three younger kids all worked a bit more independently this year, which made the whole evening easier, though I'm surprised Jojo didn't get sick from all the candy and frosting he ate.

Jojo showing off his frosting-covered hands and candy covered house and yard.

Rowan's house

TJ and his completed house. Thomas starts eating off of his house almost immediately, and continues until his house and yard are pretty much stripped. This year the candy houses lived on the dining room table for the season, and any time it got too quiet, I knew I'd find two boys in the dining room with mouths full of candy. I guess that's part of the fun of candy houses...

A week or so later, we invited preschool friends over to frost Christmas cookies. Apparently I'm a glutton for sugary, messy holiday projects!



No comments: