Thursday, August 7, 2014

Wood projects - part I

Continuing our theme of working hard around the house in May, Ed and the boys worked on a swing set improvement on Mother's Day (with my blessing!). The project: add a rock wall to the side of the fort. Ed expanded on the idea a bit from what you typically see on swing sets and it turned out really cool!


After the three guys went on a bike ride (Happy Mother's Day to me!), the boys and I positioned the "rocks" for climbing. Then the boys tried it out.

Here you can see them both climbing:




We also spent some time working on an herb box, inspired by one at the Cook house. This was definitely Ed's wood weekend! The boys took an unplanned late afternoon nap (courtesy of the bike ride, no doubt) while I wielded the nail gun and Ed held pieces together for me. My involvement ended when, 10 minutes after pretending that I'd shot him in the hand with the nail gun, I actually did shoot a nail through one finger and into the next. In my defense, we checked out the nail and the trajectory, and it must have hit a knot in the wood, because it started straight. Fortunately, the nail went straight through so we didn't end the day with a trip to the ER!

And our finished herb box (not that same day!)



No comments: